October 9, 2013
"Healing Choices: Protecting Your Mind"
“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10: 5 NIV
There’s an advertisement about the mind being a terrible thing to waste. God doesn't want you to do that. Supposedly we use only a very small part of it everyday.
It’s a tool that God wants us to use in ministry to fulfill His purposes. That’s why we have to be choosy. We need to control what or who we allow into our minds.
What’s true of computer is true with humans GIGO – garbage in, garbage out.
There are five things the Bible teaches us to guard against.
- We are to guard our minds against false teaching – How do you do this? By knowing the truth. If you know the truth you can instantly spot a lie. When I was a bank teller they taught us to find counterfeit money by letting us count real money often. Eventually, we learned to tell the difference between the real and fake just by the feel of it.
- We are to guard our minds against temptation – don’t expose yourself to things that lead you into sin. Keep them from your mind. Paul talks about putting on the helmet of salvation which is a protective devise for our minds.
- We are to guard our minds against counterfeit spiritual experiences – in Galatians 1: 6 – 8 Paul warns us, even if an angel tells you something, if it is different from what the Word of God says don’t believe him.
- We are to guard our minds against pride – pride is the sin that causes all people to fall. It was pride that got Satan kicked out of heaven. When people tell you things that puff you up beware. Remain humble and don’t let pride enter your mind.
- We are to guard against an overworked mind – when we overwork our minds we can tire them. That clouds our judgments and our ability to make sound judgment. That’s why God gave us a day off each week. Do you take it? And if not, how could you change that?
When you guard your mind you are protecting a very special gift from God. It’s a terrible thing to waste. Don’t do it!
Peace in the Lord,
Posted on Wed, October 9, 2013
by Marie Blair