May 10, 2017
"Five Must Things to Learn
in Your Family"
“Awesome families encourage growth. They create an atmosphere of life-long learning. That learning doesn’t have to be boring. It can be lots of fun.”
Even when learning is fun, it can help each of us to grow in our own lives. There are some things that we’ll only learn at home. If we don’t learn these things at home as a child, they are likely to cause us some difficulties as an adult.
Here are five things to learn in your family:
1. What to do with your feelings – Healthy families learn to recognize, identify, own up to, express and deal with feelings. Everyone is allowed to be honest and express their emotions.
2. How to handle conflict – Sometimes couples tell me that their parents never argued or disagreed in public. The problem is they come to get married without having had that example of how to handle conflict.
3. How to handle loss – I know some people think it’s good to let kids win all the time. I’m not sure that’s best. We all have to learn how to handle losing. We want them to learn that failure won’t destroy them and that a loss isn’t the end of life.
4. What values matter – It’s important to teach kids the three basic temptations of life: sex, salary and status. Those temptations deal with how you feel, what you do and what you get in life.
5. Good habits – Habits determine our character. Families can help each other grow so that everyone’s character is more like Jesus.
Peace in the Lord,
Posted on Wed, May 10, 2017
by Marie Blair